Green beans are an amazing veggie! First off they taste awesome, second they are super versatile, and third they are GOOD for you! I recently got a huge bag full of green beans from my local organic food share, so it got me thinking…
What’s in a green bean anyways?
In 1 cup (1 serving) of green beans there are*…
- 31 measly calories
- 2.7 g of fiber making up 7.0 g of carbohydrates (3.3 g of that is sugars)
- 1.8 g of protein
- 100 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids
It contains the following vitamins & minerals** in 1 cup:
- 30% of your RDA (recommended daily allowance) of Vitamin A (690 IU)
- 16% of your RDA of Vitamin C (12.2 mg) & Vitamin K (14.4 ug)
- 13% of your RDA of Iron (1.0 mg)
- 12% of your RDA of Manganese (0.2 mg)
- 9% of your RDA of Vitamin B2 (0.1 mg) & B6 (0.1 mg)
- 8% of your RDA of Folate (33.0 ug), Copper (0.1 mg), & Magnesium (25 mg)
- 7% of your RDA of Vitamin B1 (0.1 mg)
- 5% of your RDA of Vitamin B3 (0.1 mg) & Phosphorus (38 mg)
- 4% of your RDA of Vitamin B5 (0.2 mg), Choline (15.3 mg), & Potassium (211 mg)
- 3% of your RDA of Vitamin E (0.4 mg), Calcium (37 mg), & Zinc (0.2 mg)
- 1% of your RDA of Selenium (0.6 ug)
*Data obtained from Cronometer database.
**Want to know more about these essential vitamins/minerals and what they do inside the body? Check out my website at http://www.emmapetshow.com for more information!
How can you use them?
Well I thought you would never ask… here are a few of my favorite ways to incorporate green beans into my daily diet, including a free recipe!
- Eat them fresh in a salad
- Saute them in your favorite fat and eat as a side
- Bake with spices and make your own fries
- Combine with eggs and make a scramble/frittata
Tasty Green Bean Summer Salad:
Combine green beans, cherry tomatoes, garlic powder, & some onion together in a bowl. Add feta cheese if you desire!
Dressing: Mix equal parts Balsamic vinaigrette & lemon juice. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/4 tsp ground mustard seed (if desired), & salt/pepper to taste.
Try out your own recipes and share to this post. Also feel free to look up my Pinterest Page (Emma Petshow) for more recipe ideas/options.