Mason jar salads are a great way to get your 5 a day, meal plan, save time and money, and have less clean up. There are many different types of salads you can create, but I have listed one of my favorites below that uses some of those late summer berries!
Berry Kale Salad
How to make your jar?
- Add 3 tbs of Blueberry Vinaigrette to bottom of jar (See below for a homemade vinaigrette recipe or use your favorite vinaigrette!)
- Place 1/2 cup of blueberries/strawberries (raspberries also work) next
- Make 2 layers of 2 cups spinach/kale (or other leafy greens)
- Place 1/4 cup shaved/sliced almonds (try walnuts or pine nuts)
- Lastly place the last layer of 1 cup spinach/kale (leafy greens)
- Optional… 2 oz crumbled blue cheese or parmesan cheese or feta cheese
Whenever you are ready to eat your salad, shake up the jar (gently, it is not a shake weight) and pour it onto a plate or just eat it out of the jar (less dishes)! If you are planning on storing the salad for a few days, wait to add the vinaigrette until you are ready to eat (it will stay fresher longer).
- 3 tbs fresh blueberries (if you want to make a strawberry or raspberry vinaigrette just substitute those berries in)
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tbs honey (could use agave nectar as well)
- Pinch of salt and ground pepper to taste
- 4-5 tbs olive oil
Blend it all up until smooth and add olive oil until it is the consistency you like!
Make your own!
What is your favorite salad… Caesar, Cobb, Fruit, Southwestern, etc.? Below is the basic guide to creating your own Mason Jar Salad Masterpiece!
- Dressing first
- Salad ingredients that won’t soak up dressing next (i.e. carrots, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, etc.)
- Other salad ingredients (i.e. all sorts of things including corn, beans, fruit, cucumbers, etc.)
- Salad greens come at the top (avoids S.S.S. – Soggy Salad Syndrome)
- Cheese/Nuts come last!
Post your Mason jar salads online with the #masonjarsalads or message me your best recipes. I will feature my favorite one next month on a foodie friday!
Foodie Friday Bonus…
Since I am on day #3 of a sugar cleanse I wanted to post my sugar free breakfast solution of the day! Turns out you can eat a lot of good food that contains no sugar!
Interested in participating in a 21 day sugar cleanse? In a few months we will have a group 21 day sugar cleanse challenge to start the new year right. There will be prizes, lots of veggies, and no sugar! More info to come…
My name is Emma Petshow and I am a 3rd year naturopathic medical student at the National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, OR. For more about myself, check out my bio. This blog is intended for information about preventive health and lifestyle improvement. The information contained on this blog is not to be used as medical advice. For specific medical advice you should consult your physician.
Lastly, but most importantly, let’s take a moment to remember those lives that were lost on 9/11 and those who served on that awful day 14 years ago. #neverforget